Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Getting Started or mission statement

So its a new blog, this time dedicated to gaming and entertainment in general. When I say gaming I mean wargames, PC games, tabletop role-playing games, board games, Iive action role-playing and anything else I might have missed. When I say entertainment I mean television, movies, books, music and anything else I might of missed.

This blog is intended for me to explore the breadth and depth of my hobbies and their peripherals, actually now I think about it only some of my hobbies. I have others that will probably make a guest appearances, history, science and mythology and anything else I might of missed.



Ive been around awhile, in fact I am getting OFFICIALLY older on Friday. Im having a second last not fortieth birthday. I come from a land downunder where... its pretty awesome all the time.

I started young, I think it was the cartoon of The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe and the anime of Astroboy (1980) Starblazers (Battleship Yamato 1974) and Battle of the Planets (The romanji of the anime name starts with a G and I cant be bothered looking it up or the year for that matter) that got me into fantasy and Sci Fi... Oh and the Fourth Doctor and Sarah Jane and the repeats of the Third Doctor. Robotech (Macross 1984) in 1986 ensured that I stayed hooked. So when I moved high schools in 1989 and someone waved a box of Battletech which had (with no appropriate Copyright approvals) a destriod from Robotech (nee Macross) I went sure why not? Thus began my journey into tabletop wargaming and roleplaying.

When my brother was murdered, my good friends decided I needed to get out more and dragged me along to this thing called live action role-playing. 15 years later Im still doing it. I'd given up the habit of Tabletop Wargaming after my brother died as it had too many memories of him, however the then new flatmate asked did I know anything about this game called Warhammer 40000, I groaned and rolled my eyes and debated lying about it I'd been clean for a good decade. Damn I told the truth.

Im glad I did I got back on the hobby horse sure I might have speant way too much of my income on this in the four or so years but the hours of fun that, I have making new friends, the reconnecting with old friends through the hobby, introducing the hobby to the new generation is frankly priceless.

And so I will leave you with a pot shot from the hill, I have a Father who is retired and he gave me my love of history, first through the second world war and it cascaded from there and probably accidently got me into tabletop wargaming. But as I was around on his place on Fathers day it occurred to me that Dad might like to table top wargame he was never interested in it when we were gowing up. I ask and he decided after hard think that no he couldnt get into Sci fi or fantasy but he could be keen on American civil war or the second world war... Crap I thought all Ive got is the aforementioned Sci fi and Fantasy (Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40K) ooh but Ive been meaning to get into Flames of War... hitting the interwebz I find there isnt a cool game of the moment for the American  Civil War unlike Flames of War which is everywhere and the cool new (relatively, since 2005) So Flames of War it is... My point is my surprise that my dad and I have something new to explore together and he isn't getting any younger and I'm watching him fall apart, slowly. I would like to spend more time with him and this seems a great way to do it. Oh right the pot shot... How would you get someone into the hobby?

No comments:

Post a Comment